If you’re a foreign or U.S. business thinking about exporting to Canada – or if you already do business in Canada and are looking to streamline your trade processes and reduce costs – you’ll be interested in Canada’s Non-Resident Importer (NRI) program.
Canada’s Non-Resident Importer program
The NRI program allows foreign or U.S.-based businesses to ship goods to Canada while enjoying the same advantages as Canadian importers – without having to have physical facilities in Canada.
As an NRI, you can take advantage of the following:
- More control over your supply chain
- Reduced supply chain expenses
- Increased selling advantage
An NRI is subject to Canada’s Customs Act and related regulations, which are administered by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Also keep in mind, depending on the nature of the goods, certain Other Government Department (OGD) requirements may apply; for example, many food products are subject to Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) import requirements.
Livingston is your ideal Non-Resident Importer partner
Livingston offers a number of services to help businesses make most of the NRI program, including the following:
- GST/HST Services: Failing to collect and remit Canada’s Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) to the Canadian government can expose you to financial risk. Livingston can help establish an efficient and correct GST/HST process that meets legal obligations.
- Recordkeeping: Livingston can maintain your import records to remain compliant with CBSA standards and save you time and money. After all, compliant documentation keeps your shipments moving across the border smoothly and reduces your risk of AMPS penalties and non-compliance fines.
Become a Non-Resident Importer today
Increased sales potential, more control, improved efficiency – becoming an NRI definitely has its advantages. An NRI not only makes clearing customs seamless, it can also go a long way in making your business more profitable. Give us a call today to find out how.