Food exports to China require licensing and registration under new rules

Do you export to China? Are you involved in the exportation of food? Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) advises industry of the export requirements of known registered exporters from Canada.

As of January 1st, 2022, establishments that manufacture, process, and store food products for export to China need to comply with two new Chinese regulations for imported food and overseas food establishments.

  • Decree 248Regulations on the Registration and Administration of Overseas Producers of Imported Food will require all overseas food manufacturers, processors, and storage facilities to register with the General Administration of Customs of China (GACC).
  • Decree 249Administrative Measures on Import and Export Food Safety covers a broad range of requirements on food exports to China, including overseas facilities registration, record filing by importers and exporters, quarantine and inspection and product labelling.

Canadian food establishments must be licensed under and be in compliance with the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) as well as with China’s regulatory requirements prior to export.

As part of China decrees’ registration requirements, foreign establishments or fish/seafood processing vessels involved in the production, processing, or storage of any food product exported to China must be registered by the General Administration of Customs China’s (GACC) in the China Import Food Enterprise Registration (CIFER) system.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has updated its external website with important information for Canadian establishments to register with General Administration of Customs China (GACC) in the China Import Food Enterprise Registration (CIFER) system prior to export. In addition to several food products, this includes fish/seafood processing vessels involved in the manufacture, processing, and cold storage of food products exported to China.

GACC’s new registration process is required for foreign establishments to maintain or obtain access to the Chinese market for food products.

Learn more on the requirements: New establishment registration requirements for food exports to China (Decrees 248 and 249)

If you have questions contact CFIA Food Export at or speak to your local CFIA inspector.