November 28, 2019 – Global Affairs Canada (GAC) is conducting public consultations regarding the allocation process of the Tariff Rate Quota (TRQ) for the heavy plate and stainless- steel wire products final safeguards for the allocation period from February 1, 2020 until October 24, 2021. Your comments and feedback is required by December 8, 2019.
To participate in the public consultation, provide feedback through the online questionnaire by clicking on the following link: Steel Safeguard Consultations
The Final Safeguards Order applies to Heavy Plate and Stainless Steel Wire products imported from all countries except for:
- a) goods originating in Canada;
- b) goods originating in Chile, Columbia, Mexico, Panama, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the United States or Israel or another CIFTA beneficiary; and
- c) goods originating in a World Trade Organization (WTO) Member country that is a beneficiary of the General Preferential Tariff (GPT), as long as the share of imports from such a country does not exceed 3% of total imports of each good, provided that imports from countries accounting for less than 3% of import share do not collectively account for more than 9% of total imports of each good.
From May 13 to June 2, 2019, the TRQ quantities were administered on a first-come, first-served basis. During the period of June 3, 2019, to January 31, 2020, the TRQ quantities are being administered through two pools:
- an allocation pool, available to eligible applicants based on their historical import activities during a reference period
- a residual pool, available on a first-come, first-served basis to applicants that did not receive an allocation
To ensure continued efficiency and effectiveness in administering Canada’s steel safeguards, the Government of Canada is seeking the views of stakeholders with an interest in the administration of these TRQs.
View the background information on current steel safeguard TRQ’s periods and quantities.
Interested parties from all sectors can submit their responses, comments and suggestions no later than December 8th, 2019. Questions regarding the consultation can be directed to the Steel unit of Global Affairs Canada by e-mail: TIN.Consultations@international.gc.ca
If you are unable to access the online questionnaire, please contact us for assistance:
Non-supply managed trade controls (TIN)
Global Affairs Canada
125 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa ON K1A 0G2
Please contact your Livingston account representative should you have any questions.