Understanding Electronic Export Information filing

Are you exporting goods out of the United States? Remember, anything you ship outside of the U.S. is considered an export – and as such, has certain requirements and responsibilities that go along with it.

One of those requirements is filing export information.

Filing your export information electronically

If the goods you’re exporting are valued over $2,500 or need a valid export license, you need to file Electronic Export Information (EEI) via the Automated Export System (AES). And remember, it doesn’t matter what your commodity is (software, hard goods, textiles, blueprints) or how it’s shipped (regular mail, courier, hand-carried) – it’s still considered an export.

What to do before exporting

Before you export anything, remember to find the correct Schedule B number that identifies what you’re shipping. Also keep in mind that personal items over $2500 also need EEI submitted.

Learn the exceptions to EEI filing

Certain shipments don’t need to have EEI filed, including many shipments to Canada and those to U.S. possessions such as Guam.

To learn more about your responsibilities, the exceptions and the penalties for non-compliance, download our guide, “Understanding Electronic Export Information filing.” It’s got everything you need to know about EEI filing and is a great resource for ensuring your exports are compliant with all U.S. regulations.