The Minister of the Environment has issued a notice proposing that producers of halocarbons to prepare and implement a pollution prevention plan. Comments are now being accepted on this proposal.
The following describes the person or class of persons required to prepare and implement a plan:
- This applies to any person or class of persons who, in 2014 or any time thereafter:
- manufactures or reclaims a halocarbon that is to be used, whether alone or in a mixture, as a refrigerant; or
- imports 100 kg or more of halocarbons per calendar year, whether alone or in a mixture, that are to be used as a refrigerant.
- This applies to any person or class of persons who is the successor or assign of the persons identified in subsection 2(1).
- Despite subsection 2(1), this Notice does not apply to any person or class of persons who:
- manufactures, reclaims or imports halocarbons, whether alone or in a mixture, to be used entirely as a refrigerant in mobile air conditioning systems;
- manufactures, reclaims or imports halocarbons, whether alone or in a mixture, to be used entirely as a refrigerant in domestic refrigeration or air conditioning appliances;
- manufactures, reclaims or imports halocarbons, whether alone or in a mixture, to be entirely exported out of Canada;
- imports on one occasion only 500 kg or less of a halocarbon refrigerant to be used entirely to charge air conditioning or refrigeration systems at facilities owned or operated by the importer; or
- imports halocarbons that are found in:
(i) mobile and stationary refrigeration and air conditioning systems,
(iii) foams, or
(iv) fire suppression/extinguishing systems.
The complete notice on the proposal is published in Part 1 of the Canada Gazette Vol.149, No.16.
The consultation period is open for comments until June 17, 2015. Interested parties may submit comments on the proposed P2 Planning Notice and Schedules to:
Director, Chemical Production Division
351 Saint-Joseph Boulevard, 11th Floor
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H3
Telephone: (819) 938-4208