U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP), posted notice of the below-noted increase(s) in user fees, which are effective October 1, 2019. CBP will increase Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) ‘User Fees’ by 7.167 percent to adjust for inflation in fiscal year 2020.
Affected user fees include the Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF, with changes only in the Minimum & Maximum rates), as well as truck, rail and vessel arrival fees. Fee increases are mandated by the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act, passed in 2015, requiring CBP to make necessary inflation adjustments and fee limitations.
Changes to prominent fees paid by Livingston to CBP via the 7501/Entry Summary are:
- MPF Minimum: $26.79 (previously $26.22)
(Note: There is no change to the MPF rate of 0.3464%)
- MPF Maximum: $519.76 (previously $508.70)
- Dutiable Mail Fee: $5.89 (previously $5.77)
Other user fees affected, along with their January 1, 2019 amount(s):
- Commercial Truck Arrival: $5.85 / $107.17 annual cap (Previously $5.75 / $104.89)
- Rail Car Arrival: $8.84 / $107.17 annual cap (Previously $8.65 / $104.89)
- Commercial Vessel Arrival: $468.32 / $6381.77 annual cap (Previously $458.35 / $6245.97)
- Barge and Other Bulk Carrier Arrival: $117.88 / $1,607.50 annual cap (Previously $115.37 / $1573.29)
- Private Vessel or Aircraft First Arrival/Calendar Year Prepayment: $29.47 (Previously $28.84)
- Commercial Vessel or Aircraft Passenger Arrival: $5.89 (Previously $5.77), or $2.07 from a U.S. Territory
- Customs Broker Permit: $147.89 (Previously $144.74)
- Express Consignment Carrier/Centralized Hub Facility, per Individual Waybill/Bill of Lading: $0.38 minimum, $1.07 maximum (Previously $0.37 / $1.05)
- Surcharge for Manual Entry or Release: $3.21 (Previously $3.15)
- Informal Entry or Release Not Prepared by CBP Personnel: $2.14 automated, $6.43 manual (Previously $2.10 / $6.29)
- Informal Entry or Release Prepared by CBP Personnel: $9.64 (Previously $9.44)
COBRA user fees are adjusted when the Consumer Price Index (CPI) is greater than one (1) percent. CPI was found to be 2.02 percent, resulting in an increase.
If you have any questions regarding the Fiscal Year 2020 Increased CBP User Fees, Livingston can help! Please contact either your Livingston account manager or our regulatory affairs group at firstname.lastname@example.org