On December 15, 2016, the U.S. Department of Commerce initiated a countervailing duty investigation on softwood lumber products from Canada.
As a result of a petition presented to the U.S. International Trade Administration on January 26, 2017, a postponement has been granted. The preliminary determination for the Countervailing Duty investigation into various softwood lumber products from Canada has been extended to April 24, 2017.
The preliminary determination for the antidumping duty investigation is not affected by this action, and remains on track to be decided no later than May 4, 2017.
Depending on the results of these two investigations, companies with continuous bonds may incur an increase to their bond, and importers without a continuous bond will be required to submit a cash deposit. We will keep you up to date as more information becomes available.
December 15, 2016
- U.S. Department of Commerce initiated a countervailing duty investigation on softwood lumber products from Canada.
January 26, 2017
- U.S. International Trade Administration received a petition requesting a postponement in the preliminary determination of the above investigation
February 03, 2017
- Federal Register published an update informing a postponement was requested and granted
April 24, 2017
- Preliminary determination for the Countervailing Duty investigation into various softwood lumber products from Canada
No later than May 4, 2017
- Preliminary determination for the antidumping duty investigation and remains on track
A Federal–Provincial Task Force on Softwood Lumber will assess potential impacts and assess how to address the needs of affected workers and communities. Read our trade news article or read the News Release from the Government of Canada.
Supporting our clients’ needs
As always, Livingston will continue to monitor the progress of discussions regarding the softwood lumber dispute between Canada and the United States, and we will keep you informed of any updates.
If you have any immediate questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.